Did you know?
- The largest and longest nerve in the human body. Beginning at your spinal cord, it runs through your hips & buttocks, & then branches down each leg
- Sciatic nerve has the ability to control & feel your legs. When this nerve is irritated, you’ll experience sciatica
- Sciatica is a sensation (weakness / numbness) that can manifest itself as a moderate to severe pain in your back, buttocks & legs
- 40% of people will get it at some point during their lives
Causative & Risk factors
Most common causes are:
- Herniated disks
- Spinal canal stenosis
- Spinal canal / sciatic nerve tumours
- Piriformis syndrome
- Pregnancy — As a result of the weight of the foetus pressing on the sciatic nerve during sitting / during leg spasms
- Tumours impinging on the spinal cord / the nerve roots
- Spinal trauma due to a car accident.
Common risk factors include:
- Age — Age-related changes in the spine, such as herniated disks & bone spurs, are the most common causes of sciatica
- Obesity — Due to heavy stress on your spine, excess body weight can contribute to the spinal changes that trigger sciatica.
- Occupation — A job that makes you to twist your back, carry heavy loads / drive a motor vehicle for long periods might play a serious role in sciatica, but there’s no conclusive evidence of this link
- Prolonged sitting — People who sit for prolonged periods / have a sedentary lifestyle are more likely to develop sciatica than active people
- Diabetes — Increases the risk
Signs & Symptoms
- Pain that radiates from your lower (lumbar) back to your buttock & down the back of your leg & foot is the hallmark of sciatica (Lower back pain, not as severe as leg pain)
- Pain that is typically described as sharp / shooting rather than dull
- Constant pain in only one side of buttock or leg, rarely both
- Numbness, pricking / muscle weakness in the affected leg / foot. Sometimes, you might have pain in one part of your leg & numbness in another part
- Pain can be worsened when you cough / sneeze, & prolonged sitting can aggravate symptoms
- Pain feels better while lying down / walking but worsens while standing / sitting / moving
- You may experience incontinence, which is the inability to control your bladder / bowels. This is a rare symptom of cauda equina syndrome (CES), which requires an immediate attention
How do your homeopathic physician come to know about your arthritis?
- History of the symptoms — To diagnose sciatica, your homeopathic doctor will first want to get your full medical history. This includes whether you’ve had any recent injuries, where you feel the pain, & how the pain feels. They’ll want to know what makes it better, what makes it worse, & how & when it started. Ultimately, sciatica can be diagnosed when a person reports the typical radiating pain in one leg
- Most applied diagnostic test — Straight Leg Raise (SLR), which is considered positive if the pain in the distribution of the sciatic nerve is reproduced with between 30 & 70 degrees with passive flexion of the straight leg
- Imaging tests — X-ray, CT, CT myelogram, MRI & Electromyogram (EMG) can help with the diagnosis of lumbar disc herniation
Homeopathy over Allopathy
What are the advantages of homeopathy over allopathy?
Possible side-effects of allopathic treatment
Advantages of homeopathy
Symptomatic treatment (NSAIDs & Opioids)
(In sciatica due to piriformis syndrome)
Laminectomy & discectomy
(In sciatica due to herniated disc)
* Treatment effects may vary from patient to patient
Treatment at Drs Homeo International
Identify root causes & eliminate them
with constitutional therapy
Natural oral medicines (Dilutions, tissue salts & mother tinctures) & ointments
Lifestyle modifications (Diet, supplementation, sleep, exercise & yoga)
Supplementation guidance — Fish oil capsules & Vitamin C tablets
Productive & pain-free life —
We aim at individual’s genetic constitution by
listening to the patient’s physical, mental & emotional states which leads us to find out the constitutional remedy.
Rest, exercise & yoga guidance:
Note: Yoga poses & stretching are not recommended in pregnancy.
*** Constitutional homeopathic treatment, along with the lifestyle changes, can work wonders in treating sciatica & control the symptoms
Why Drs Homeo International?
At Drs Homeo International Homeo, we have treated sciatica patients effectively with a success rate of 95%. Pie diagram — Cured (95%); No significant change (4%); No change at all (1%)
Can sciatica be prevented?
The following steps can help you prevent sciatica / keep it from occurring again:
- Exercise often — Strengthening your back muscles & your stomach / core muscles is the key to maintaining a healthy back
- Mind your posture — Make sure your chairs offer proper support for your back, place your feet on the floor while sitting, & use your armrests
- Mind how you move — Lift heavy objects in the proper way, by bending at your knees & keeping your back straight