Did you know?
- Surgery for herniated discs can be very risky as it is common for the surgery to not work & make things even worse (failed back surgery syndrome)
- Most people over 30 already have some degree of Degenerative Disc Disease. But they may not show any symptoms of it for many years
- Irrespective of age, level of fitness, / athletic ability, everyone experiences back pain at some time in their life.
- Degenerative disc is not actually a disease. It’s a condition involving the discs in the spine
- Degenerative Disc Disease can lead to a greater chance in developing herniated / bulging discs, arthritis in the spine, & spinal stenosis
- The most common disc in the spine to become herniated is located between the 4th & 5th lumbar vertebrae in the lower back
- Over half of the middle aged people who have never had back pain in their lives will still most likely have at least one herniated disc without knowing about it because it has never hurt them
- Herniated discs occur most often in the lower back, & are one of the main causes of sciatica
- For many people suffering from Degenerative Disc Disease, walking / even running can help alleviate the pain. But the most effective way to relieve the pain is to lay down because this removes all the weight & pressure on the affected area
- Some people with long term Degenerative Disc Disease may experience a “degenerative cascade.” This is where after a long period of chronic back pain due to a degenerative disc, the body may re-stabilize the area which leads to less pain (but this can take 20-30 years).
What are the types of disc problems?
1) Herniated / protruded / prolapsed / extruded / slipped discs
2) Injury — Disc strains & sprains
3) Degenerative disc disease
4) Bulging disc
5) Spinal canal stenosis
6) Pinched nerve
Causative & Risk factors
What are the causative & risk factors of backache?
Acute backache (lees than 6 weeks)
Chronic backache (more than 12 weeks)
1) Sudden injury (strain / tear) to the muscles & ligaments
2) Compression fractures (osteoporosis)
3) Fractures of the spinal cord
5) Herniated disc
7) Spinal canal stenosis
8) Scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
9) Kyphosis (rounded back)
11) Renal calculi / Kidney stones
12) Infections of the spine
1) Arthritis (old age — natural ageing process)
2) Extra wear & tear of the spine due to the type of work / sports activity (disc degenerative disease)
4) Lack of regular exercise / lack of fitness
5) Past injuries
6) Herniated disc
7) Past surgery
8) Spinal canal stenosis
9) Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
10) Scoliosis / kyphosis
11) Medications that cause bone loss (steroids, anti-seizure / epilepsy medications)
12) Psycho-social factors like stress, anxiety, depression, pain threshold, cognitive dysfunction etc.,
What are the symptoms of disc problems?
- Back pain — Sudden & sharp / dull
- Worsened back pain when repetitively bending / with prolonged sitting
- Aggravating back pain with coughing, sneezing, straining etc.,
- Pain, numbness / pins-and-needles radiating into an arm / leg
What are the dangers of going untreated?
- Permanent disability (Loss of curvature of spine)
- Nerve damage
- Fecal & urinary incontinence
- Numbness around the genitals & perineal area
- Diminished quality of life
- Inability to work
Homeopathy over Conventional treatment
What are the advantages of homeopathy over conventional treatment?
Possible side-effects of allopathic treatment
Advantages of homeopathy
Symptomatic treatment (NSAIDs & Opioids)
* Treatment effects may vary from patient to patient
Treatment at Drs Homeo International
Identify root causes
Natural oral medicines
Guidance for food & nutrition:
Foods to be taken
Foods to be avoided
Supplementation guidance — Vitamin d & vitamin C
Happy & Pain-free lives —
Re-life — Addressing the underlying deep-rooted cause & correcting them with constitutional approach can reduce obesity & lead you to a happy & healthy life.
Rest, exercise & habits guidance:
Rest: 1st step is to rest your arm for several weeks (A brace helps immobilise the affected muscles)
Exercise — Fist clench; Supination with a dumbbell; Wrist extension; Wrist flexion; Towel twist
* Treatment effects & individual results may vary from person to person
Why Drs Homeo?
At Drs Homeo, we have treated backache patients effectively with a success rate of 95%. Pie diagram — Cured (94%); No significant change (4%); No change at all (2%)
How can backache be prevented?
There are a number of ways to help prevent tennis elbow, including:
- Make sure you’re using the right equipment & proper technique for each sport / task
- Performing exercises that maintain the strength & flexibility of the forearm
- Icing your elbow following intense physical activity
- Resting your elbow if it’s painful to bend / straighten your arm
If you take these steps & avoid putting strain on the tendons of your elbow, you can lower your chances of getting tennis elbow / prevent it from coming back.